We'll keep it nice and short today. We attempted whoopie pies, but subbed mashed bananas for pumpkin puree. The rounds weren't rising as beautifully as we had hoped, so instead we spread the rest of the batter into a sheet pan, cut the cake into squares, and here is the result!
Adapted from Food Network
For the cakes:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cloves
2 cups firmly packed dark-brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 bananas, mushed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the icing:
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Line baking pans with tin foil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together brown sugar and oil until well combined. Add the mashed up bananas and whisk until well combined. Sprinkle flour mixture over banana mixture and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Spread the dough in the pans. Transfer to an oven and bake until the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the filling as instructed on the link, Dark Chocolate Ganache.
- Once the cake's are baked, cut them into squares. Spread the ganache on one side of the whoopie-square, and sandwich the whoopie-squares.